Follow on Facebook
- Anti-comics Athens Book reviews Characterization Classroom practice ComicLife conflict economics exposition First Second Flagpole Formative Assessment genocide Geoffrey Canada Girl Talk graphic organizer Hip-Hop history John Dewey manga memoir Minx nonfiction Othello plot structure Pop culture ready-to-use Shakespeare social justice social studies student work TokyoPop Unemployed Man Vertigo Why graphic texts?
Who visits this site?
- Thanks, Unemployed Man! You’re saving the day!
- Who wouldn’t want to read this book, attend this school, and join this club?
- Student work and teaching critical reading explicitly via comics
- Literary mashup: killing Shakespeare, or another form of appreciation?
- Discovery Channel sees the potential too!
Monthly Archives: October 2010
Nevermind the corporate synergy at work for Gatorade here – just watch this preview: Trying to find a consistent link or updated information on Blokhedz (WARNING – my browser warns of viruses from this link) has proven difficult. However, getting … Continue reading
I utilized this EASY to implement, quick, and simple formative assessment while reading Sharon Draper’s Forged by Fire with a group of often-reluctant 9th graders recently. I adapted the idea from Thompson’s Adventures in Graphica, which has proven to offer … Continue reading
“Hey no bullshit man, that was a good book.” I simultaneously grimaced and grinned as one of my less academically inclined 9th grade students handed me back my latest copy of this title – the second one I’ve purchased over … Continue reading
When Danni and her mom move in with her mom’s alcoholic boyfriend, Danni develops a fierce crush on Haskell, her soon-to-be stepbrother who’s a hardcore environmentalist. Desperate and confused, Danni wrestles with what she’s willing to sacrifice as she confronts … Continue reading
This common dilemma is a wonderful problem because there are ample solutions. Bringing graphic texts into the classroom presents unlimited opportunities and new teaching tools and reading materials that are easy to introduce and implement and enjoyable for teachers and … Continue reading